Morgan Freeman, born in Memphis, Tennessee, on 1st June 1937, became a fighter pilot, only to learn later that it is not what he wanted and became an actor.
He was not an instant success. After years of small parts, he finally landed prominent roles and became one of Hollywood’s respected stars.
Growing up, life was not easy, the youngest of five children to schoolteacher Mayme Edna and barber father Morgan Porterfield Freeman Sr. Due to the struggles he remained with his maternal grandmother in Charleston Mississippi, while his parents relocated to Chicago to look for jobs.
At six, Freeman’s grandmother died, so he had to move north to his mother, who had already separated from her alcoholic husband.
Later they moved to Tennessee and then back to Mississippi. Eventually, Mayme Edna settled her family in Greenwood.
As a kid, Freeman spent a good portion of his time scraping together money to watch movies.
In junior high school, he was punished for pulling out a chair from underneath a girl that he had a crush on and had to take part in the school’s drama competition. To everyone’s surprise, Freeman proved to be an immediate natural on the stage at 12, taking top honors in the program.
Through the years, Morgan Freeman has been inspiring people with humor, versatility, emotional depth, and soothing voice.
Here are 14 Inspirational Quotes by Morgan Freeman
- If you want to see a miracle, be the miracle.
- The best way to guarantee a loss is to quit.
- When you have made your choice, it is providence that is your guide. Good, bad, or indifferent. Your fate lies in that.
- How do you be good to life? You live it.
- I once heard a wise man say there are no perfect men — only perfect intentions.
- Forgiveness liberates the soul. It removes fear.
- If you wake up and the snow is knee-deep outside, you are not filled with rage. It’s just something that you’ve got to cope with. If you’re living in a situation, it’s the only situation that you know, and you’ve got to deal with it.
- As long as you feel like a victim, you are one.
- We, humans, are more concerned with having than with being.
- If your life turns out to be good and you have a tremendous amount of luck in your life, it’s a good thing to turn around and make it work for others.
- Learning how to be still, to really be still and let life happen – that stillness becomes a radiance.
- How to change the world? One random act of kindness at a time.
- Never let pride be your guiding principle. Let your accomplishments speak for you.
- Challenge yourself; is the only path which leads to growth.
Bees are the foundation.
According to Forbes, Academy Award-winning actor, film director, and narrator noted for his reserved demeanor, and authoritative speaking voice converted his 124-acre ranch in Mississippi into a bee sanctuary.
He imported bee hives from Arkansas to his Mississippi ranch, where he planted bee-friendly plants such as clover, magnolia trees, and lavender.
His intentions are to feed the bees. He doesn’t want to harvest them for honey. Freeman never wears a bee suit or a bee hat, and they haven’t stung him yet.
Morgan Freeman is committed to bringing bees back onto the planet.
Featured image credit: Georges Biard