“That which does not kill us makes us stronger.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
“I finally learned a big lesson. I now know I can be beaten and broken. I’m not as tough and crafty as I thought. I see clearly now what was blind to me just yesterday morning. At this point, it’s the only good thing that came out of all of this. But in a way, it’s all I need. I know myself better today than I did yesterday, and know what I have to do.”
Those insightful lines come right out of a live chat conversation I had this morning with Cara, one of our newest course members (she gave me permission to share this with you). As you can tell, Cara had a tumultuous recent past, and she’s just beginning to strengthen her mindset and rise above what happened.
If you’re in a similar situation, or you simply feel like life has been tougher than usual lately, here are some mantras (that I personally use) to help you get your thinking back on track, so you can feel better about today and what must be done…
- No matter what, you can always fight the battles of just today. It’s only when you add the infinite battles of yesterday and tomorrow that life gets overly complicated.
- Never assume that you are stuck with the way things are right now. Life changes every single second, and so can you.
- Life always begins now – right now – not tomorrow or the next day or the next. It means you can have the new beginning you want whenever you want.
- The best people all have some kind of scar. Don’t be ashamed of yours.
- A positive present changes a troubled past. Looking back, you do not find what you left behind.
- You are not a victim. You may have been challenged, hurt, betrayed, beaten, and discouraged, but nothing has defeated you. You have been delayed but not denied. The person or situation that hurt you is weaker than you, because you’re still here. So don’t let this experience weaken you – let it build you.
- Even when it’s tough, wear a smile. Smiling doesn’t always mean you’re happy – sometimes it simply means you’re strong. And you are.
- When we stop feeling sorry for ourselves, we start feeling stronger.
- It has been said that the highest form of prayer is giving thanks. Instead of praying for different circumstances, give thanks for what you have. (You’ll see why.)
- Talking about our problems is our greatest addiction. Break this negative habit today. Talk about your joys, your loves, and your dreams instead. (Angel and I discuss this in detail in the “Happiness” chapter of 1,000 Little Things Happy, Successful People Do Differently.)
- The more you live, the more you learn. The more you learn, the more you realize how little you know. Feeling incomplete is completely normal and healthy.
- Think of all the hundreds of thousands of steps and missteps and chances and coincidences that have brought you here. In a way it feels like the biggest miracle in the world, doesn’t it? Keep this in mind, and meditate on the fact that you are a work in progress, and every great success requires some kind of struggle to get there.
- Sometimes, to be successful tomorrow you must be wrong today. So don’t let the fear of making the wrong decision prevent you from making any decision at all right now. At the end of your fear is the person who you want to be, one way or the other.
- What’s most important in this moment is positive focus. Make the moment important and vital by doing something meaningful. It’s that simple. In the end, that’s all success really is.
- Details aside, whatever is going to happen will happen, whether you worry or not. So just do the best you can right now, and find peace in knowing that you are. No further judgments are needed. Sometimes you’ve got to go through the worst of times to get the best. And sometimes the best of times come sooner than expected.
Worry less, and smile more.
Complain less, and appreciate more.
Expect less, and prepare more.
Judge less, and respect more.
Take less, and give more.
And you’ll begin to feel better, guaranteed.
The floor is yours…
Which point above resonated with you the most? What else do you try to keep in mind to strengthen your mindset? Leave a comment below and share your thoughts and insights.
Thanks to Marc And Angel Hack Life for this article
Reminder: Have you checked out our book? We just released a new bundle pack for “1,000 Little Things Happy, Successful People Do Differently” which includes our eBook, audio book, paperback and bonus material on sale for a big discount. Click here to check it out!